Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wheat Bread

This is the only bread that Connor will eat (and the rest of us really like it too!). It's so light and fluffy!

3 1/2 C whole wheat flour (You must use wheat flour. It does not taste good with white. I've tried.)
1/3 C gluten flour (you can find this at walmart-I use 3 Tbsp)
1 1/4 Tbsp instant yeast
2 1/2 C steaming hot tap water (120-130)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 C oil
1/3 C honey or 1/2 C sugar (I use sugar)
1 1/4 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
2 1/2 C whole wheat flour

Mix the first three ingredients in mixer with dough hook. Add water all at once and mix for 1 minute. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Add salt, oil, honey/sugar, and lemon juice and beat for 1 minute. Add last flour, 1 cup at a time, beating between each cup. Beat for about 6-10 minutes until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. This makes a very soft dough.

Preheat oven for 1-2 minutes to lukewarm and turn off. Turn dough onto oiled counter top; divide, shape into two loaves and put into greased bread pans. (I usually just take it from the mixer bowl and shape into loaves in my hands) Let rise in warm oven about 10-15 minutes, until dough reaches top of the pan. Do not remove bread from oven; turn on oven to 350. Bake for 30+ minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks.

Enjoy! It takes about an hour and 15 minutes start to finish.

1 comment:

Shanda said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I have been craving wheat bread. I'll have to go to Walmart to find the gluten!