Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Navajo fry bread tacos

We made these for dinner, and the kids devoured them. I think that is a sign of a good recipe, so I'm sharing!

Prepare a recipe of fry bread (see below), then top with your usual taco toppings. We used kidney beans spiced with chili powder, cheddar cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and salsa. You could use taco meat, olives, onions--basically whatever you enjoy on your tacos.

Navajo fry bread.
2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c warm water

Mix the dry ingredients and slowly stir in the water until you have a nice soft dough (you might not need all of it).
Divide the dough into about 8 small pieces and work them with my hands until they were flat circles probably about 4 inches or so. (The dough is really soft, so flour hands.) Then fry each piece in oil until they are light brown on both sides.

2 comments:

Jillian said...

Oh, I almost forgot, the fry bread goes great w/honey too!

Shanda said...

Yum!!! That sounds SOO good!